Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Freddy Charles Is Not Human (I'm Only Human Review)

Freddy Charles is a one man band meaning he recorded everything from the guitar, drums, bass and of course vocals. His brand new album “I’m Only Human” is available on itunes, Spotify and other independent music stores. Freddy Charles has been recording since 2008 and has 7 records under his belt.  I’m Only Human has 13 tracks all together.

Need My Love is very is a very jazz soul filled track! The song reminds me a lot of Santana. It’s relaxing, warm and heartfelt. The vocals are excellent and very well produced with stunning choruses and lyrics. The drum fills are immaculate that fit the track very well. The drums give it a more jam out rock sound. He includes a lot of guitar solo riffing, which is great in its own regards if your into long jam out tracks to get you going.  It’s progressive in how it starts out, then picks up pace as the track goes on.
End of an Era begins with excellent guitar riffs that are somewhat dark in there regards, and even out with a solo. The vocals then pick up shortly after which again Freddy Charles has an excellent voice his voice is something you would hear on the modern day radio. I love the guitar pedal effects done through the track riffs with the vocals over it. IT adds an experimental feel to it. The progressiveness is excellent especially with the instrumental break in the middle. He ends the track like the beginning with an epic solo to finish off this master piece.

Put Me Down starts out more up tempo than some of the other tracks which is a nice change up. I can really hear the Santana influences here in the guitar, but this track falls more into the rock column rather than jazz although I can hear the influences. The vocals really make this track; Freddy Charles has a very powerful voice that soothes the ears especially with how a lot of music today is simply unnatural. Freddy Charles can belt out highs and lows like it’s nothing and still stay in key. Through the middle of the song there is a stellar jam session filled with guitar solos and amazing drum fills from out of nowhere. He really brings the heat on this track and shows off what he can do.

Learn as We Do is an instrumental track that begins very mellow and is a great change of pace from songs like “Put Me Down”. I can sense a lot of emotion throughout this track. The lead guitar filling with stellar solo’s and the backing guitar using an effect that gives it a spacey feel, making you really just ride the notes. The drums are excellent and I love how he uses complex patterns throughout. Towards the end of the track, the song begins to get even more spacey where we hear samples of a voice saying “oh my goodness” I believe and it has a delay to it.



Freddy Charles hit this one out of the ball park! If you are looking for something that brings a Carlos Santana musical style with a mix of Pink Floyd and classic rock, then pick up “I’m Only Human”. This is one of the best rock albums I've heard in sometime. It’s very creative, and honestly doesn't get boring at all. Each song has its own unique style to it, with excellent music structure and patterns. The drumming, vocals, and guitars, are beyond what I expected. When you find someone that can make unique drum patterns you know you have found a diamond!


twitter

 Interview 
1. what are some of your influences? 
I draw from all styles of music, but mainly rock, jazz and blues.


2. do you plan on doing a tour or have you done any tours?
I have not toured. I'd love to do one though. It's difficult being that I need to assemble an entire band-but am up to the task for sure.


3. what do you think is wrong with mainstream music today?
I think it has just gotten so removed from anything remotely musical. It lacks melody, harmony and soul.


4. Are you looking to sign a record deal, or do you plan on staying independent?

Depends on the deal, I do things my way for the most part but would be open to work with a good label.


5. what got you started in music?
Started playing drums when I was 4 or 5. My dad put me on the set and then started me on the practice pad.


6. When you get writers block how do you break that? I stop trying to write. I don't get it to often anymore because I've completely changed the way I write music. Before, I'd hash it all out on a guitar and try to write everything in one shot. Lately though, I find that just being in the studio laying down all different types of tracks just keeps me creative.




No comments:

Post a Comment